Maine, the Pine Tree State, is the source of nearly 90% of the nation’s lobster supply each year and is the greatest contributor to U.S. blueberries. Home to author, Stephen King and the Penobscot Marine Museum, the state is the first in the U.S. to greet the sun each morning at West Quoddy Head, the most easterly portion of the state. But like other states, Maine is home to those who suffer from addiction.
Maine Addiction Statistics
- 10.8% of youth report using illegal drugs
- 15.4% of teens binge drink
- 64.7% of adolescents see no great harm in drinking 5+ alcoholic drinks once to twice a week
- 4.1% of youth state that they have used unprescribed pain killers
- 65 thousand Maine residents are dependent on or abuse alcohol
- 30 thousand are dependent on or abuse illegal drugs
And yet sadly, only,
- 8.6% of alcohol abusers and 19% of drug abusers get treatment each year
We should note that Maine is among the top in the nation for percentage of drug addicted individuals getting treatment.
Addiction is a disease that, if left unchecked, can tear individuals, families and communities apart. Its effects are far reaching and devastating. But through treatment and recovery the addicted individual and their loved ones can find lasting healing and hope. Here are a few treatment options in Maine.
Addiction Treatment Facilities in Maine
Wellspring Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
Wellspring Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services, located in Bangor, Maine, holds the motto, “finding strength, empowering change.” This facility houses a women’s program and men’s program separately and provides individual and group therapy, as well as addiction education to its residents.
The women’s program of Wellspring Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services is a long term residential program lasting from 4 to 6 months and is designed to help women struggling with chronic chemical dependency in addition to other mental health concerns. They must be in treatment voluntarily. The staff running this program are committed to guiding women in achieving sobriety, maintaining sobriety, and in building life skills and relapse prevention skills that they need to thrive in society, and sobriety.
The men’s program of Wellspring Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services is a 4-6 month program specifically designed to support resiliency and gaining skills through group therapy and stress reduction techniques.
Both the men and women’s programs of Wellspring Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services include:
- Individual and group therapy
- Educational groups
- Skill-building and role playing of skills
- Support in improving family relationships
- Stress reduction techniques
- Building community support
- Trauma management
A nonprofit treatment facility located in Old Orchard Beach. The Milestone Foundation offers detox and residential treatment to men and women in a medically supervised facility, staffed 24 hours a day by nurses and certified nursing assistants (CNAs). The detox stage can last from 3 days to 7 days. The residential programs, lasting between 6 and 9 months, at the Milestone Foundation include:
- Substance abuse counseling
- Educational classes
- Individual and group therapy
- Skill building groups
- Relapse prevention planning
- Discharge referrals to a step-down location (typically Sober Living or a Halfway house)
- A few other treatment options include:
- Manna Ministries in Bangor
- Catholic Charities of Portland
- Maine General Health in Augusta
- Teen Challenge, Winthrop
- Day One, South Portland
- York County Shelter Programs
- Crossroads, Scarborough
- Skip Murphy’s Structured Sober Living, Portland
Finding Addiction Treatment in Maine
Adrugrhab.org is committed to helping those suffering from addictions and their families finding healing through education and support from our team of compassionate mental health professionals, licensed counselors and those in recovery. When you call our free, confidential hotline, we listen and evaluate the unique physical and behavioral needs of the addicted individual.
We then connect you with trusted and effective professionals, facilities and programs in Maine. Whether your loved one needs medical detox, intensive intervention in a residential program, post-rehab support relapse prevention or you are just exploring the helpful information in our extensive library of resources, we’re here to help you and your loved one work toward lasting recovery.
Maine Drug and Alcohol Rehabs
- Albion (1)
Bar Harbor (1)
Blue Hill (1)
Dover Foxcroft (3)
East Machias (1)
Fort Fairfield (1)
Fort Kent (5)
Hollis Center (1)
Indian island (1)
Island Falls (1)
Mechanic Falls (1)
North Berwick (1)
Old Orchard Beach (2)
Old Town (1)
Presque Isle (6)
South China (2)
South Paris (2)
South Portland (9)
Southwest Harbor (1)
West Newfield (1)